My first day at TAPMI

Word count: 1200 | Estimated time to read blog: 10 min

Rain drops. That’s the first thing I saw when I woke up on the dull, grey morning of 17 June 2005. My room mate had not yet arrived and I had the entire hostel room to myself. Two cupboards, two cement cots with worn out beds, two tables with chairs, a fan and two book shelves were all that the management provided for the fees paid. Mosquitoes, cockroaches and lizards were thrown in free. 😉

There was a common bathroom and loo for two rooms and its 4 inmates had to time their bio-mechanisms for their own welfare. I got ready and dressed – in strict formals of course. We were getting trained to be managers and leaders. Hence I thought it best to begin by making an effort to at least look like one right on the first day. When I stepped out of my room, I realized I was not the only one who had got that brainwave. I saw a flurry of shiny shoed, slick haired men all over the place dressed in neat formals. The over enthusiastic ones carried some folders/documents and sported determined facial expressions that they had seen on some corporate honchos’ faces. Everyone was a CEO already!

It took all of us just one step outside the hostel to realize that wearing formals that day was a seriously flawed decision. (Now, to make seriously flawed decisions and then realize it, is so typical of management that we actually congratulated ourselves later. 😉 ) In our enthusiasm to look professional, we had forgotten what we saw first thing in the morning – rain drops. By the time we were out of the gate, all the hair gel had trickled on to our faces, our polished shoes looked like thick- crust pizza, the formals clung on to us like Raveena Tandon’s saree in “Tip tip barsa paani” and the determined expressions were literally washed off our faces down the drains of the hostel. (So now you know why my determination vanished on Day 1 and where it can be found.) The gardener in his comfortable overalls and plastic rain coat sniggered at us, adding insult to injury. But it did nothing to dampen our ‘B-School first day’ enthusiasm- it was so great that if it were to be converted to fire, it would burn down entire Manipal twice over, rain drops included.

Rain is the greatest prankster in Manipal. We gathered in the auditorium as per schedule and were busy drying ourselves when we noticed the sun shining brightly from the windows; not a drop of rain. We were welcomed by a senior professor, an incident that I have already described with adequate elaboration. Soon after this welcome note, we realized that Rain is not the greatest prankster in Manipal. 😛

We then queued up to submit our first assignment on “Unique experience and the learning we had from that” and got the rule book of TAPMI and a tie sprinkled with the TAPMI logo – the TAPMI tie (see pic above). All the girls in the batch saved Rs 500 because a tie was not forced on them.

We were then split into groups and each group had to study a particular function of the organization- academics, extra-curriculars, facilities, committees and fora, festivals, research etc and then present it to the rest of the groups. Faculty members distributed themselves to aid us in our findings. And in a short while, we were assembled again in the auditorium to witness the presentations. I guess a couple of guys and gals almost killed each other to be the one to present the findings of their respective groups – a mentality that would later be considered laughable and highly lunatic. It was perhaps the last time that the entire batch was seen together assembled in the auditorium. The faculty had cleverly made an assignment of this task as otherwise they would have to spend an entire day to educate us on all these.

It was almost 6:30 pm and some indefatigable students went for an overkill by singing songs and peppering their presentations with jokes etc. I was thoroughly drained out and was glad when the last presentation drew to a close. Suddenly a new assignment was sprung on us and we had to organize a cultural show for the faculty over the weekend. When there was a call for volunteers to organize this event, almost all the hands went up. The guy on my right started speaking to me in an excited tone and told me idea after another for the cultural event without my asking for it. Two guys behind me started enacting the skit that they would propose for the event.

The rain was on time and made Raveena Tandons of all of us on our way back to the hostel. We freshened up and headed to the mess. Out of sheer benevolence, since it was our first day, the mess manager had gone out of his way to change the regular menu to serve something edible. He knew very well that first days don’t repeat; we didn’t.

After the meal, it was time to socialize and we formed our own groups and assembled in nearby rooms to know each other better. Some guys lit up cigarettes and ranted about the rules laid down by TAPMI. The topic then turned to the babes of our batch and soon we all had a list of ‘must-watch’ chicks. I prided myself on seeing all of them on day 1! 😉

There was a sudden knock on the door and cigarettes were extinguished in a hurry and deodorants sprayed. We expected the warden but it turned out to be the senies. They felt that we hadn’t been ‘educated’ enough in the auditorium all through the day and the real education was to happen that very night on the top most floor of the hostel, the TV room. In a few minutes, we were all piled up in the TV room in a circle and a guy stood at the centre of the circle. He was the President and welcomed us all. It was a brief 2 minute speech and ended very soon and along with it ended all decency and decorum. In the melee that followed, “lamps were lit”, “Champas and Taras were repeatedly called” “Geminis were danced to” and at the end of it all, we were more steeped in the TAPMI culture than a decade at the auditorium. The rules were interpreted for us from a student’s perspective and the consequences reiterated. Senies hailing from the various states of the country called on their respective junies for an additional gyan session and by the time all this ended, it was nearly 2:00 am which was about the normal time any B-schooler would ever go to bed from then on.

We were looking forward to our first day of classes and all of us unanimously agreed to skip our bath and save time – the rain would be there on time anyways. 😉

PS: Thanks Balesh, for suggesting this topic. More such topics from the batch are welcome.

Bookmark and Share Add to Technorati Favorites RSS


11 thoughts on “My first day at TAPMI

  1. Hi,

    As usual – one more good blog to your list. Surprising you remembered most of the details even after 3 years. (And I definitely believe you have purposefully omitted some of the best details , so that it will not take out the fun for us). And the tie snap is tooooooo good. thanks a lot for sharing your memories.


  2. gud one Hriday… brought back a lot of memories…
    the only thing I remmeber most from the audi is people searching for their groupies franatically..ofcourse thats in addition to the famous speech…

  3. Hey Hriday,

    real good blog man, we went thru the same “events” & they all flashed as i read thru it….jst for the info i was also one of the ppl who piled up to present on day 1 in audi & my presentation is still remembered in our batch but for all the wrong reasons.

  4. Nice post… Liked it a lot especially the “to make seriously flawed decisions and then realize it, is so typical of management that we actually congratulated ourselves later” part 😉

  5. Hi dude,

    Had a re-read ..

    Guess nothing has changed much. It was pretty much same for us too … 🙂 (except that it was a little bit sunny day…)


  6. Hey, just read.. somehow the conditions of hostel is no more like that.. I m in current batch and hostel rooms are superb, so is the faculty and management.. never the less.. the rigour is still the same.. might hvae increased may be..!!! 🙂

    1. @ Yatri-

      Yes, i admit my blog doesn’t reflect the current state anymore – esp after the move to new campus.

      Glad it has changed for the better. I didnt have any complaints with what we had earlier.

      And i heard about the classes till late in the night and sundays as well due to that UK prog. If i were in your batch i would hv certainly objected to that one – why should the whole batch go thru hell for the benefit of 5-6 damn guys?? (Did you ever think abt it that way? 😉 )

      PS: You now in first yr or second?

  7. Well M in 2nd year… M amazed u are so ‘aware’ about the current happenings. I searched about ‘T..A…P…M..I’ in a serch engine and found this blog. well whatever is happening doesnt affect me much. hardly matters ! u’ve been in T a pmi for 2 years, still u think u could have objected!!

    1. @Yatri-

      Im quite aware of happenings at Tapmi, thanks to my blog. I get to connect with a lot of junies like u. 🙂

      Glad you stumbled on my blog – that’s how most junies get to me…and eventually reveal all the juicy gossip etc over mail, chat, scrap, fb, comments etc (which i dont blog of course!) 😉

      Well, i have lived in Tapmi and though i didnt manage to change things that i didnt like, i made sure that they didnt impact me either. Secret!

      Btw, i didnt understand how going to classes on sunday doesnt affect u. really beats me. I’d hve made life hell for those few guys.

  8. Well it ACTUALLY does not affect me.. ! but i beleive it should be optional.. so that other ppl unlike me who might object coming on sundays can stay back and relax.. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s